A little while ago I published a blog announcing the successful growth of courgettes down in our allotment, I then went away for a week and have come back to the beginnings of a glut. We have many, many yellow courgettes, that have grown overnight to be giants.
So I have begun, in earnest the task of creating super tasty, delicious and healthy meals out of courgettes. This is free, vitamin, homegrown, organic produce that has been cultivated in my own hands- it deserves to be transformed into something beautiful.
Recipe No 1. Courgette Fritters
- 400g grated courgettes, with all the water squeezed out
- 1/2 onion chopped super small
- 150g feta crumbled nice and crumbly
- big handful of fresh mint chopped well
- 70g plain flour
- 1 1/2 eggs, beaten
– Mix onion, feta and mint.
– Stir in the flour
– Add in the egg gradually, you don’t want it too runny
– Mix in the courgette
– Heat olive oil in pan and spoon in dessertspoonfulls of mixture (it should be thick and lumpy).
– Cook for two mins each side, or until firm and golden brown.
– Serve with a nice big salad
Recipe No 2- Courgetti with Pesto Salmon
Instagram and healthy blogs have been awash with courgetti for a little while, and always one to get on board with a new trend I wanted a piece of the action. The only thing you need is a Julienne Peeler, and despite my fellas protestations that “You can get them anywhere”, it took me a whole frantic day of searching to find one. A Julienne Peeler looks like a regular peeler but instead of a plain blade it has a row of sharp teeth which create long thin strands of veggies. Like this:
The recipe is super easy.
1. Make pesto by blitzing 50g toasted pine nuts with 50g grated parmesan, 100ml olive oil, huge handful of basil and three cloves of garlic.
2. Cover salmon with pesto and wrap in silver foil. Pop in the over for 20mins
3. Peel courgette with Julienne Peeler, (one small courgette per person, so I used one huge one for two of us) and squeeze out some of the water.
4. Quickly cook some chopped up runner beans.
5. Lightly fry courgetti in olive oil until warm through and soft.
6. Mix through runner beans, serve with salmon and a squeeze of lemon juice. Delicious.